About NZ Eating Disorder Specialists
NZ Eating Disorder Specialists, with 30 years of expertise, provides long term success for people with eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia and is the only clinic in New Zealand using a proven family therapy approach, Intensive Structural Therapy.
Eating disorders are notoriously difficult to treat. Yes diet, fashion and body image are all contributory factors, but eating disorders are also maintained by the person’s social context and avoiding conflict.
NZ Eating Disorder Specialists was established by its specialists’ as part of their efforts to address one of the most increasingly prevalent and fatal psychiatric diseases per capita. We treat eating disorders not just as an isolated individual problem. We recognise to overcome eating disorders successfully the person’s social environment and family interactions need to be changed.
Our success comes from:
- Treating individuals together with influential members in their life, such as family, friends and co-workers
- Assessing pressures in the person’s life that have manifested into a eating disorder
- Helping set new patterns with how the person handles stress and conflict and interacts with influential people in their life
- Completing therapy when new patterns are set, not just the person putting on weight
- Emphasising the importance of the influential members to act as a healing resources for the person. They also need to change their patterns of interactions with the person.
- Taking a short term treatment approach for may have been a life long problem for the person, so they know that they can overcome their disease
Questions & Comments
If you, or someone you know, has an eating disorder please take the time to look through our site. We aim to provide valuable information on eating disorders and clearly explain our approach to treatment. If you have any questions or feedback please fill in this contact form and we will do our best to help.